8/7/2014

                                                  Goodbye to Julia


“Happy trails to you, until we meet again.
Some trails are happy ones,
Others are blue.
It’s the way you ride the trail that counts,
Here’s a happy one for you.” ~Dale Evans
Six weeks have passed and I’m on my way heading back to Germany. Six weeks with lots of joyful, exciting, sad and crazy moments. I’m a student from Germany, in the middle of the foreign language secretary apprenticeship and part of this apprenticeship is a six week long internship. It was pretty difficult for me to get an internship, because I only wanted to work at an animal shelter, rescue or vet – abroad, of course. I’m not the typical kind of secretary-office person you’d imagine, I’m terrible at math and my definition of fun doesn’t include drinking coffee all day and sitting in front of Excel. I found BCR through Facebook (had no idea I would be working on Facebook most of the time, haha) and got in contact with Alana Miller. And well, I don’t know how it all happened but a month later I was all excited sitting in the airplane on my way to BCR…
My first day at BCR! The first cat I met back in the last days of June was Snicker and I totally understand why he is so famous, he is a handsome and wonderful baby, I’ll miss his smile and the way he tried to eat my shoes.

I remember the first question I had when I arrived after some trouble (my connecting flight from Charlotte to Fayetteville was cancelled and I had a nine hour flight and a six hour time difference, Alana had to pick me up in the middle of the night and we had to stay at a hotel, I didn’t get my bag, what an insane day!), one was if they have any little kittens and this was the day I met Charity. From that day on I spent hours in front of her crate, talking to her (we had some interesting conversations about cat nip and crinkle toys). And after a few weeks had passed, she got her eyes done and I was sitting with her in her new room “The Crazy Kitty Room” (of course!). She is doing so good, she will have a wonderful and very long life at BCR, with all the other crazy babies.






I was one of the crazy persons working on Facebook in the mornings; I think Alana wanted me to do that because I’m terrible at cleaning. And while everyone else was trying to get the rooms clean and chasing the cats that kept escaping the rooms, I was sitting there, Cora always on my lap, Gallie right next to me and Mack sleeping next to my computer. I took a zillion pictures of these three sweethearts.



The saddest moment was the fifth of July, the day that Waffle crossed the Rainbowbridge. I’m so glad that I had the chance to meet this wonderful cat, even though I didn’t have much time and it was one of my first days at BCR. He is gone but never forgotten. I have to do a presentation about BCR in school and I will definitely name Waffle.
Doing boxes was probably something I wasn't really keen on doing during the first weeks. I got used to it, even though I’m more of a quiet person and a silent writer. I met Christina, she is a crazy person and I’ll miss her so much, I loved doing boxes with her. Christina and me went to the mall a few days before I left…
Unfortunately I didn't have the chance to see much of North Carolina or America, which I have to do some day in future. I need a car next time, I didn't have to chance to do anything on my own, even the grocery store is too far away. I went to the North Carolina Museum of Natural Science with Desiree and Colton, it was so much fun! Alana and I went to Wilmington one day and to the beach two times, we had a good time!


The days were flying by, I started missing my family and pets, which is just normal I think. It’s kind of funny that most people think I’m so weak and shy, but then again, do you think someone shy and weak would go to America for nearly two months on their own if they were that shy and quiet? – I bet not. ;)


Okay, there is one more thing I need to tell you, I love snakes. I mean, I’m fascinated by the way they are crawling around and in Germany we don’t have any snakes at all (blind worms don’t count!) so from the first day on I really wanted to see a snake, ha ha. A couple of days ago a white little snake appeared on the street, I was pretty excited! Too bad I couldn't get a picture of him. Well, that’s the snake-story, I also got stung by a hornet, but that’s not a nice story.
I’m really impressed by the size of everything in America, even in the grocery store. Everything is BIG. I mean, there are like 20 different types of Oreo cookies and Coke and the milk bottles are insanely big. I think I've gained a couple of pounds, which I’m not really happy about. And Taco Bell – oh god, Taco Bell. It tastes so good, thank god we don’t have them in Germany, I would be there all day long. We also don’t have Reese's Cups, they’re tasty!
The Jump was one day before I left, pretty stressful adventure, but I had the chance to meet so many lovely people. …..


One of the things I’ll really miss is taking pictures for you! I LOVED taking pictures, of every single cat. It was so much fun, because whenever I was looking for a special cat, it disappeared! I promise I’ll stay on the “Friends of Blind Cat Rescue” Facebook page (which all of you should really join).



Farewell! No words could explain how much I’ll miss the cats and BCR, and I hate goodbyes. I hope I’ll be able to travel a lot during the next years and who knows, maybe I’m coming back someday.
"There are no goodbyes for us.  Wherever you all are, you will always be in my heart."

- Mahatma Gandhi -






We are so excited to hosting the Dare Me 4 Charity event Saturday 8/8 !!  If you are coming and need directions or have special needs,  please let us know so we can try to accommodate you.  We will have coffee, donuts and water for everyone!  Jumpers please try to be here around 8-9 am for safety lessons and check in.  BCR jumpers,  we do have shirts for you :)  

COOKBOOKS



Have you bought yours? here is the link (it is fixed now) 
Have you ordered your BCR #1 fan shirt yet?  Only 4 more days to order  https://www.booster.com/bcr
Shirts are delivered 2 weeks from customink after closing so you should see them approx. 8/23 Please Like and Share


 Photo: Have you ordered your BCR #1 fan shirt yet? <3  Only 4 more days to order  :)  <3  https://www.booster.com/bcr
Shirts are delivered 2 weeks from customink after closing so you should see them approx. 8/23   Please Like & Share

Don't forget we are in Still in a contest right now, 
The prize money would help pay for lots of vet coverage for the cats :)
Thank you so much for helping the cats!!


Contest 1:  $50,000!! first prize,
 1 vote every 24 hours   

Thank you so much for your gifts from our Amazon wish list for the blind cats!!!
http://amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/14VUTQST8F5XH

It was so very kind and generous of you and we deeply appreciate your support!!

Amazon never gives us your contact info and often have no names on the packing slips or even packing slips in the box,  please forgive us if we do not personal thank you....


This is from several days of box openings :)

Thank you J s Ellis for the Clorox bleach, Clorox Clean up, Clavamox, and Freshstep Litter
Thank you unnamed for the foods and the Glad Odor shield Tall Kitchen Bags
Thank you unnamed for the Ware Brush and Scratch
Thank you Allison R. Bess for the kitty play cube and Snuggle scratch and rest
Thank you Macia Davidson for the food, Q-tips, Swiffer Disposable Dusters and batteries
Thank you Mark Proulx for the Trash bags
Thank you Sheryl L Harrison for the Paper Towels and Band-aids
Thank you Rosemary Cassese for the Trash bags
Thank You Patricia de la Bretonne for the cat tree
Thank you Anne Cowell for the Wubba Mouse cat toy
Thank you Carol R Takvorian for the food, wubba mouse, trash bags, cleaning pads and the miracle pk
Thank you unnamed for the batteries, snuggle scratch rest and cat litter
Thank you unnamed for the food
Thank you unnamed for the colorful spring pack toy
Thank you Cheryl Moreau for the Looney Loops cat toy
Thank you Rebecca Hagen for the cleaning pads and food
Thank you Becky Best for the food
Thank you unnamed for the food, trash bags, Q-tips and yellow banana toy
Thank you unnamed for the Unique cat toy, variety toy pack, Safari catnip toy and cleaning pads
Thank you Miriam Fennell for the food and scratch and rest, trash bags and food
Thank you unnamed Snaker teaser cat toy, wubba Duck toy and Cozie Kickeroo catnip
Thank you Michele Mayer for the slotted ball toys
Thank you unnamed for the food
Thank you Kelly M Goodnight for the freshstep litter
Thank you Heather Crossland for the hummingbird nectar and Duster refills
Thank you unnamed for the Safari Catnip toys
Thank you Susan Mechler for the cat litter, Dish soap, cleaning pads, swiffer extender kit, Variety pack toys, food and band-aids

Thank you Cheryl W. Roberts for the toilet paper and cat litter
Thank you unnamed for the Mattress pad covers
Thank you unnamed for the paper towels









Comments

Popular Posts